Friday 24 April 2015

A soggy ANZAC day in Melbourne.

Hello, friends.

I am typing from my usual Saturday/Sunday position - ie my desk at work. I am multitasking.
  • Writing up a powerpoint presentation, as usual creating too many slides then having to ruthlessly cut back (all killer, no filler). Googling how many slides ought to make up a 10 minute powerpoint presentation (about 14).
  • Reflecting on my week, and contemplating the existence of the "Fuck You" Fairy*. 
I have been "on leave" writing my PhD. However I have dealt with some work things via email. It is a toss up as to which is more painful: writing the PhD or dealing with things from work on a week off.

I am feeling marginally guilty about not having made it to a dawn service, but reflecting on how lucky I was to be able to visit Gallipoli in June last year. I have been looking back through my photos.

Lone Pine Cemetery
The trenches - sometimes they threw grenades, sometimes food and cigarettes
ANZAC Cove from afar
 

It was surreal, walking along that beach, imagining the Diggers landing.
My favourite picture, a verse that resonates with me.


And now to get back to it. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend, wherever you are.


* The Fuck-You fairy is a tongue in cheek thing I made up. Basically it refers to the force that acts when you have made peace with what is and made plans. The fairy flies in, says "fuck you" and you have to change your plans again. The fuck you fairy is not a bad thing, it is kind of like Murphy's law.

What is your version of the fuck you fairy?
And what are you up to this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. love these photos!!! am watching Band of Brothers and hating war x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your trip there and think it lovely you went and saw first hand everything. I think I must be projecting bc the air seems so still in the pictures. As I get older Anzac day seems to have gotten bigger in significance or maybe I am simply older so I realize things that I had no clue when I was 22? Keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem by Kemal Ataturk. The humanity and compassion. I began to cry as I read it, even before entering the graveyard. The tears just kept coming as I walked amongst all the graves and read the inscriptions - they were just boys. It was 19 years ago but it's one of those experiences that stays with you forever.
    Good luck with writing up the thesis. Best wishes, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too missed the dawn service- I was up with a 4 month old, but opted to stay in. My grandfather fought in WW1 (my father is 81), so it would have been nice to make the effort, but he fought in France, so the 100th anniversary is still a couple of years away! Made Anzacs though. All the best with your study!

    ReplyDelete